Hot pot to blame for townhouse fire
SMITHFIELD (WTVD) -- Smithfield officials said several residents are looking for a place to stay after their townhouses were damaged in a fire Tuesday.
The fire broke out around 10:30 p.m. at a two-story building in the 100 block of Landmark Drive after authorities said someone left a unattended pot on a hot stove.
When firefighters arrived, the fire was quickly spreading according to eyewitnesses.
"I kept hearing something out here and I looked out my bedroom window and the first thing I saw were curtains fall off her windows," nearby resident Lena Williams said.
Williams said she then ran over to the woman's home.
"When she woke up, she said the fire detector was going off," Williams said. "She tried to put it out, but she couldn't do so, so she came out and I told her, you did the right thing ... because you couldn't save your life."
It took firefighters an hour to get the blaze under control.
They said one unit was heavily damaged and two others had some smoke and water damage.
The Red Cross reported that five families were displaced.
The damage could cost almost $300,000 to repair.
johnston county, fire, local/state
- Skiba's mom says Richardson murdered daughter
- ABC11 channel changes
- Reports of rashes spur Fitbit recall
- Wrestler loses championship, wins crowd over
- Official: Airliner communications shut down separately
- Emails show close ties between Duke, NC regulators
- Teen faces sexting charges following social media mistake
- Suspect in Sanford shooting death arrested
- Parents hope bone marrow drive can save son
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Bank robbed in Franklinton
- 4th of July celebration returning to Ft. Bragg
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Police: 1 man, 1 woman died at South by Southwest