Teen to be tried as adult in homeless man's murder
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- One of three 15 year olds charged with murdering a homeless man in Raleigh last year will be tried as an adult after graphic testmony in juvenile court Wednesday.
Testimony centered on the body of a homeless man found beaten to death and stuffed in a garbage can. The grisly discovery was made along a greenway path just south of downtown Raleigh last November.
The victim was later identified as 37-year-old Regynald Jose Brown.
Several juveniles testified Wednesday and provided new information in the case.
One said all the boys involved were members of a clique called "Big Money Swag," or "BMS."
According to testimony, BMS assaulted several homeless men. In one case, they made one of their victims eat feces, videotaped it, and showed it off to their friends.
One teen witness admitted taking part in the beating of Brown.
He said after the victim was beaten and kicked to the ground, one of the boys hit Brown in the head with a rock the size of a basketball at least three times. He also said they went back the next day to see Brown's body and he was still breathing.
At some point, Brown died and his body was stuffed in a rolling garbage bin.
The boys' neighbor also testified that he saw two of them with the bin the body was found in.
"I just knew it was something that was odd for that time of day and for kids to be pulling a trash can down the street," said Samuel Evans. "But the trash can appeared at that time to be empty."
In all, three 15-year-old boys were charged with murder. A 13-year-old boy was also charged with murder but was released in December after giving a statement to investigators. Another 15 year old has been charged as an accessory.
A second hearing for a teenager in the case Wednesday was continued until March 5.
State law bars prosecutors from seeking the death penalty in murder cases where the defendants are younger than 18.
wake county, homicide, local/state, ed crump
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help