Pilot survives small plane crash in Sanford
SANFORD, N.C. (WTVD) -- A pilot crashed his plane into a Lee County field Wednesday afternoon and walked away without injuries.
It happened one mile south of the Sanford-Lee County Regional Airport near the intersection of Rod Sullivan and Ammons Farms Roads.
The pilot, Ray Kelley, said he was flying from Siler City to Sanford when he was attempting to land, overshot the runway and landed in a field.
"Anytime you can walk away from a plane crash, you're lucky to be alive," said Kelley.
Kelley said when things took a turn for the worse he just kept telling himself to remember his training. He's said he's thankful the recent rain softened the ground because the wheels were able to dig into the mud easily.
"I was making my approach for the airport, and it was an odd phenomenon," said Kelley. "I had too much power that the plane would not allow itself to land but not enough to stay in flight."
Quickly realizing he wasn't going to make the runway, Kelley started looking for other options.
"There was a cow pasture near the runway so I made a decision," he said.
He dodged power lines, but instead took out wires to the electrical fence surrounding the land.
Kelley said the plane, a Piper PA-32, is a total loss. He was the only one on board.
The FAA will investigate the exact cause of the crash.
lee county, plane crash, local/state, angelica alvarez
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday 39 min ago
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Rabies alert in Wake County
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Brees sharp, Saints beat Panthers 31-13 35 min ago
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Flight delays and cancellations from the...
56 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help