Softball tournament honors teen killed in wreck
JOHNSTON COUNTY, N.C. (WTVD) -- A weekend softball tournament brought hundreds of players to Johnston County to remember a teenager killed in a car accident.
The 6th Annual Reecey Cup charity softball tournament was held Saturday and Sunday in various places around the county.
The tournament is held each year in honor of Reece Richardson. The North Johnston High School soccer player passed away in 2007 at the age of 17.
"This tournament is about carrying Jesus to the ball fields. It's about making parents aware, and the kids aware that we don't control a lot of things. And we promote safe driving through this. Losing a child is something I don't wish on anybody," Reece's father Ricky Richardson said.
The 82 teams came from across North Carolina, Virginia, and Wisconsin to raise money for the scholarship fund in Reece's name.
"All the money raised by the teams playing here, even the concessions sold on this day, goes to a scholarship benefiting a student who goes to North Johnston High and who will attend Mount Olive College," Richardson said.
Parents hope the experience will help send an important message.
"It's definitely something we'll have to talk with them about. I don't know how aware they are at the moment, but it's certainly something that will come up," said Rachel Brill, the mother of a Virginia softball player.
johnston county, local/state, anthony wilson
- Winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- Charlotte remembers 1963 desegregation 'eat-in' 11 min ago
- White House insists Obama was not involved in IRS
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- Medical emergency eyed in Va. parade crash 39 min ago
- Ex-Pa. officer once hailed as hero faces charges 34 min ago
- abcnews: First lady makes light of husband's failures 43 min ago
- OTRC: Kristen Wiig talks about missing 'SNL'
- Another mugging reported at Durham bank
- Army investigates 23-year-old paratrooper's death
- Tanker truck collides with SUV in Johnston County