SUV crashes into downtown Durham business
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Durham police are investigating an accident that landed a driver in the hospital after he crashed his SUV into a downtown business early Monday.
It happened just before 1 a.m. at 341 W. Main Street near W. Chapel Hill Street.
Authorities said when officers arrived; they found a 2000 Chevrolet Blazer inside Hairizon, a beauty supply store, and the driver still in the SUV.
The SUV had reportedly gone the wrong way on Morris Street when it crossed West Main Street and crashed into the business. The impact caused major damage to the store.
The driver, later identified as 39-year-old Javier Villaneuva Ziranda Francisco of Durham, was taken to a local hospital with serious injuries. He has been charged with driving while impaired, driving while his license was revoked and going the wrong way on a one-way street.
Authorities also said the Blazer was involved in a hit-and-run accident at the intersection of Liberty Street and Miami Boulevard about 10 minutes before the accident on West Main Street.
Details surrounding that incident have not been released.
Meanwhile, Hairizon's store owner said customers can still shop online on the business' website www.hairizonbeauty.com.
- Photos: Oklahoma tornado aftermath
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Candidates for Wake superintendent narrowed to 3 23 min ago
- NC attorney general warns of disaster relief scams 19 min ago
- Good Samaritan law intended to save lives
- North Carolina schools prepare for tornadoes
- High School coach arrested on sex charge
- Video: Okla. storms hit close to home for some
- Lightning sparks Raleigh apartment fire
- Video: McCrory weighs in on state budget, protests
- Two cleared, others charged in murder
- Video: 'Valor Games' begin in Triangle