Flags at half staff at CITGO's Houston headquarters to mourn Hugo Chavez's death
HOUSTON -- The death of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is being observed here in the oil industry capital of Houston.
SkyEye 13 HD flew over the CITGO Petroleum Corporation headquarters on Eldridge Parkway where flags were at half staff on Wednesday. We contacted the company and they did tell us that the gesture was to mourn the passing of Chavez, who lost his battle to cancer on Tuesday. CITGO is owned by Venezuela's national oil company.
The American flag appeared to be slightly higher than the other half-staff flags, which include Venezuela and Texas.
CITGO released a statement Wednesday which read, "President Hugo Chávez of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela leaves behind a legacy of support for the underprivileged and promotion of social justice that transcends geographical boundaries. We at CITGO Petroleum Corporation are deeply saddened by the news of his passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and the people of Venezuela in this time of grief."
According to CITGO's website, the company has an energy assistance program partnership with the country called the CITGO-Venezuela Heating Oil Program. The website says, "During the years of the program, it has helped more than 1.7 million people stay warm during the coldest months of winter, by donating more than 200 million gallons of heating oil worth more than $400 million."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Child killed in Johnston County crash 3 min ago
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- 'Burger King baby' seeks birth mom on Facebook
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- ABC11 channel changes coming to Time Warner customers
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- 2 shot in Gates Four community
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Iditarod becomes mad dash for Nome
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
54 min ago
abc11.com News Links
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help