Remains found in Halifax Co. are female
HALIFAX COUNTY (WTVD) -- Authorities in Halifax County believe the skeletal remains found near a creek last weekend are those of a woman.
The remains were found by a family Sunday afternoon near a creek embankment close to the Hwy 561 railroad bridge.
According to a medical examiner in Greenville, the remains appeared to be those of a black woman between the ages of 35 to 50 years old.
Authorities said a heavy black coat, light colored blue jeans, black tennis shoes and sunglasses were also found near the remains.
Based on their investigation, authorities said they believed the woman was homeless. A makeshift camp was nearby.
The medical examiner also noted that nothing suggested the woman's death involved any foul play.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact the Halifax County Sheriff's Office at (252) 583-8051 or Halifax County Crime Stoppers at (252) 583-4444.
halifax county, local/state
- Teacher resignations up significantly in Wake Co.
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Pres. Obama shows skepticism on Russia in Ukraine 40 min ago
- Cooper, other lawyers resolve NC defamation case 58 min ago
- Police trying to identify Cary rape suspect
- Police: Antiques store used to sell meth 50 min ago
- Jabari Parker leaving Duke
- Photos: Outer Banks store burns
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets
- Man shot outside Fayetteville grocery store
- Former teacher faces charges
- Big rig crashes through front of pharmacy
- Cool Kids: Molly Paul
17 min ago
- Suspect in Wake Forest kidnapping captured
35 min ago