'Bicycle Man' recovering, needs public's help
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- The man known as the "Bicycle Man" has brought Christmas joy to hundreds of children for years, but now he needs the public's help himself.
For more than two decades, Moses Mathis has refurbished bicycles for children in need.
Mathis is currently at the Aegle Rehabilitation Center dealing with heart issues, diabetes, and a number of other ailments. He's been in and out of the hospital since December.
Mathis and his wife said it's now time to put their pride aside, tell people what's going on, and ask for help.
He got out of the hospital just days before the last bicycle giveaway, and went back in days after it was over.
Even now, Mathis is still making a promise to the children of Fayetteville for the next bicycle event.
"We're going to be there," said Mathis. "If I don't be there, my wife is going to be there. My staff is going to be there. The good Lord willing, I'm going to be there. "
The Mathises said after three months of medical bills, hospital stays, rehabilitation, and ambulances, they have only $50 to their name.
Along with the bike donations, there's now a community call for medical donations for Mathis.
Donations can be sent to a The Bicycle Man Community Outreach, Attn. Ann Mathis, 624 Platinum Street, Fayetteville, NC 28311.
cumberland county, local/state, nicole carr
- Jailer found guilty of involuntary manslaughter 7 min ago
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school holiday concert
- Texas teen who killed four in crash sentenced to probation
- Golf pro charged with sexually abusing boys
- Lawmaker charged in state tax case out of jail 42 min ago
- Judge: No quick trial on NC voting law changes
- NCDOT: Bonner Bridge could reopen next week
- Appeal heard in Jason Young case
- Are more Dorito-flavored foods on the way?
- Ex-President Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker
- Interpreter for Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Man charged with stealing names, SS numbers from soldiers
- Accident shuts down Durham road
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help