Spring Lake man charged with animal cruelty
SPRING LAKE, N.C. (WTVD) -- Charges have now filed in a disturbing case of animal cruelty in Cumberland County.
Spring Lake police have charged 36-year-old Laurence Dyson with felony cruelty to animals.
Dyson turned himself into police Friday evening.
Officers said Dyson attacked a two-year-old shepherd mix with a sword last weekend. The dog suffered cuts to his head, rib area, and leg.
Animal control officers said the dog will survive.
The dog's owner, Levan McDaniel, reluctantly gave up the dog to an animal rescue group in South Carolina.
The dog will be put up for adoption once it recovers.
Dyson was released on a $5,000 unsecured bond. His first court appearance will be Monday.
cumberland county, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
- Duke University senior killed in Florida...
41 min ago