Spring Lake man charged with animal cruelty
SPRING LAKE, N.C. (WTVD) -- Charges have now filed in a disturbing case of animal cruelty in Cumberland County.
Spring Lake police have charged 36-year-old Laurence Dyson with felony cruelty to animals.
Dyson turned himself into police Friday evening.
Officers said Dyson attacked a two-year-old shepherd mix with a sword last weekend. The dog suffered cuts to his head, rib area, and leg.
Animal control officers said the dog will survive.
The dog's owner, Levan McDaniel, reluctantly gave up the dog to an animal rescue group in South Carolina.
The dog will be put up for adoption once it recovers.
Dyson was released on a $5,000 unsecured bond. His first court appearance will be Monday.
cumberland county, local/state
- Deputies shoot, kill female suspect
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- Conn. commuter trains collide; 60 go to hospitals
- Eric Staal returns to Raleigh for MRI
- Child attacked by pit bull dog
- Man attempts to rob Zebulon bank
- Driver faces DWI charge after pedestrian accident
- Golfing great Ken Venturi dies at age 82
- Friend: Murdered mom deleted Facebook due to ex-husband
- Child charged in greenway flashing incident
- Missing man's body found in Jordan Lake
- Group against gay scout inclusion