Spring Lake man charged with animal cruelty
SPRING LAKE, N.C. (WTVD) -- Charges have now filed in a disturbing case of animal cruelty in Cumberland County.
Spring Lake police have charged 36-year-old Laurence Dyson with felony cruelty to animals.
Dyson turned himself into police Friday evening.
Officers said Dyson attacked a two-year-old shepherd mix with a sword last weekend. The dog suffered cuts to his head, rib area, and leg.
Animal control officers said the dog will survive.
The dog's owner, Levan McDaniel, reluctantly gave up the dog to an animal rescue group in South Carolina.
The dog will be put up for adoption once it recovers.
Dyson was released on a $5,000 unsecured bond. His first court appearance will be Monday.
cumberland county, local/state
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh 2 min ago
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham 21 min ago
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole 30 min ago
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in...
19 min ago
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car...
30 min ago