Wake School Board appoints Bill Fletcher
CARY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Six people wanted to be the next Wake County School Board member.
Board members interviewed the candidates Saturday morning and later voted to appoint Bill Fletcher as the District 9 school board member. District 9 serves western Wake County.
In a 6-2 vote, the board picked Fletcher to fill the void left by Debra Goldman's departure. She resigned last month after moving to Wilkes County.
Fletcher will serve the remainder of Goldman's term, which expires in November. He will be sworn in on March 19 at the next regular meeting of the board of education.
"I look forward to working with all eight board members. That is what it takes -- a consensus to make things work," Fletcher said.
Fletcher previously served three terms on the board of education from 1993 to 2005. His experience weighed heavily with some current boardmembers.
"I think 12 years of experience on the board made him jump out," school board chair Keith Sutton said.
But for some, Fletcher's tenure with the board was their reason for casting a vote against him.
"Somebody whose old way of doing business for 12 years under the old system we had and that brought a lot of controversy to the community, a lot of the constant reassignment, was part of the leadership that created that," board member John Tedesco said.
Candidates were required to live in District 9 and submit a letter of interest, a resume, and three letters of recommendation to be considered for the role.
wake county, wake county schools, local/state
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help