Warrant: DNA could solve rape of Raleigh 12 year old
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- Prosecutors have obtained a search warrant that they say could close the case on the rape of a 12-year-old girl in her north Raleigh home 13 years ago.
The attack - which happened in a quiet neighborhood off Six Forks Road in 2000 - shocked the community at the time.
Prosecutors say DNA evidence left at the crime scene matched 32-year-old Angel Spencer while he was in a New York jail 7 years after the North Carolina rape. After serving his sentence there, Spencer was brought back to Raleigh.
But at a trial more than a year ago, a jury was unable to reach a verdict. Now, a search warrant shows prosecutors have gotten a judge's permission to take a new DNA sample from Spencer in an attempt to match him to the Raleigh case.
Prosecutors say they hope to put Spencer on trial a second time this summer.
Neighbors who live near the victim - and remember the case - say they're happy about the arrest, but are saddened she will have to testify a second time.
"I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to be in her shoes. Maybe having it resolved would give her some feeling of being able to move on," offered Joannie Robinson.
Prosecutors told ABC11 Thursday they're grateful for the victim's cooperation, which they say could protect a future victim.
wake county, local/state, ed crump
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
- Duke University senior killed in Florida...
28 min ago