No death penalty in Southpoint shooting
DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- Prosecutors said Tuesday that the three teens accused of shooting a man to death in a parking lot across the street from Durham's Streets at Southpoint mall will not face possible death sentences at trial.
One of the teens - Kadeem Johnson, 18 - appeared at a status hearing in Durham Tuesday. Many of his family members and friends attended.
At the same hearing, prosecutors said they also will not attempt to seek the death penalty for co-defendants Monquell Davis, 19, and Deshario Mitchell, 18.
Prosecutors said the trio was involved in the shooting of 24-year-old Brian Christopher Keys of Greensboro February 8 in a shopping center across Fayetteville Road from the popular mall.
Investigators said the teens knew Keys before the shooting. He was allegedly shot in a vehicle and then dumped in a store parking lot.
All three teens were being held without bond. Johnson's attorney asked for a bond reduction at Tuesday's hearing.
Keys' mother made an emotional plea for him to stay locked up.
"If you take a life, you shouldn't expect any rights," Angel Keys told the judge.
Johnson's bond was set at $2 million. The next court date for all three teens is in May.
durham county, shooting, homicide, local/state
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn 34 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named 52 min ago
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn
22 min ago
- Durham Public Schools superintendent resigns
26 min ago
- NCCU new head football coach named
51 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help