CPS school closings support plans in place, CEO says
March 20, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- The head of Chicago Public Schools says the district will soon release a list of schools recommended for closure.
In a statement issued earlier Wednesday night, CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett said, "the district must consolidate... to get students into higher performing schools."
The Chicago Sun-Times reports CPS plans to close more than 50 elementary schools to trim a 400 million dollar budget deficit.
A spokesperson for the district says 50 is not the correct number.
- Winter weather advisory issued for northern counties
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a life!
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- No. 6 UVa tops No. 7 Duke 72-63 for ACC title 55 min ago
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation 16 min ago
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Newtown struggles to meet mental health demand
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
- Former student fires BB gun inside high school
- Duke University senior killed in Florida crash
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title