ABC11 donates $5,000 to UNCF
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- ABC11's John Clark was master of ceremonies at the UNCF Governor's Luncheon on the campus of St. Augustine's University Wednesday.
The annual event is a fundraiser for the organization that that funds scholarships for black students and general scholarship funds for private historically black colleges and universities. It's well known for its slogan seen in TV commercials: "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."
In his speech, Governor Pat McCrory said one of his biggest priorities as he starts his first year in office is connecting commerce with education to combat unemployment statewide.
"Among the African-American population, the unemployment rate is almost at 16 percent," he said.
McCrory said there are job openings, but many applicants are under-qualified. He wants to see more attend college "to learn a skill, to apply for a job, to earn money, and raise a family, and start a new generation."
At the event, ABC11 General Manager Caroline Welch presented UNCF with a check for $5,000.
pat mccrory, local/state
- North Carolina ties to Craigslist murder
- Heart of Carolina Food Drive wrapping up soon
- South African police prepare for Mandela ceremony
- Man must pay $50K after breaking up with fiancee
- Second suspect named in double murder 2 min ago
- World leaders to speak at massive Mandela memorial 29 min ago
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist 33 min ago
- Audit shows problems with NC Tracks
- Car drives off bridge, into Harnett County creek
- Bicyclist charged with DWI
- Online promotion idea turns sour for cupcake shop owner
- Sonic apologizes for racist sign
- Gas leak prompts evacuations, closes highway
- Cumberland County deputy involved in crash
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help