Wake schools approve bell changes
CARY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Changes are coming to bell schedules at more than a dozen Wake County schools, affecting thousands of parents and students.
The Board of Education approved shifting schedules to improve busing times, but it could make commuting to and from school more difficult for some families. The majority of the 169 schools in Wake County will not be impacted, but 17 schools will see changes in bell times.
Some of the families who are being forced to adjust their schedules are not too happy about it.
Victoria Broccolo and her husband have two girls, one of whom will be attending one of the schools scheduled to be impacted by the changes next school year. Now, their oldest daughter will start her day up to 50 minutes earlier.
"I think it's absurdly early for an 11 year old to be getting to school. Ironically we will probably find some other form of transportation because the earlier start time will mean the bus will be arriving to pick them up that much earlier and we're just not comfortable with our daughter standing in the dark," Broccolo said.
The Broccolos also say the new schedule for their eldest daughter will make things difficult to coordinate with their younger daughter, who will start school much later.
The school district acknowledges the news might now be well-received by all parents, but they say the changes were necessary to try to get school buses back on schedule and on time.
The times will vary for each school, but some schools could see a time difference of 41-50 minutes. Others may see a less than 20 minutes difference.
The schools affected by the new bell schedule are:
- Apex Elementary School
- Apex Middle School
- Centennial Magnet Middle School
- Davis Drive Elementary School
- Davis Drive Middle School
- East Garner Middle School
- Enloe High School
- Green Magnet Elementary School*
- Wake Young Men's Leadership Academy
- Wake Young Women's Leadership Academy
- Leesville Road Middle School
- Lufkin Road Middle School
- Moore Square Magnet Middle School
- Wake N.C. State STEM Early College High School
- Southeast Raleigh Magnet High School
- Vandora Springs Elementary School
- Walnut Creek Elementary School
For a complete look at bell schedule changes, including exact times, click here: http://www.wcpss.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/bell_schedule.pdf
wake county, wake county schools, local/state, caitlin knute
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Obama skips out of Washington for Hawaii vacation 27 min ago
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Prosecutors: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 15 min ago
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Wild video: Duke Energy implodes smokestacks
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help