UNC responds to sexual assault investigation
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- The University of North Carolina issued a response Friday afternoon regarding the federal investigation into how the university handles sexual assault cases on campus.
The university issued a 36 page response, and also said federal investigators will be on campus next month, looking into campus crime stats.
The five people who filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education have alleged that the university underreported cases of sexual assault.
They have also raised concerns about the policies in place to help students who are victims of sexual assault and sexual harassment, saying the staff lacks training. The university also says it invited the Office for Civil Rights to visit the campus last December but those plans were delayed because of the complaint.
Two of the women who've made national headlines with this story responded.
"They can have lot of pages of great policy and very pretty words, but I want to see action happen," said complainant Annie Clark.
"It isn't about policy," said complainant Andrea Pino. "it isn't about the pretty words and who they're hiring. It's about working together. We're not there yet."
UNC has denied those claims, pointing to the hiring of a new student complaint coordinator and a legal consultant.
unc, local/state, tamara gibbs
- Soggy, cool Saturday to start holiday weekend
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Why married women cheat
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- Shedding light on Clinton's health overhaul flop 46 min ago
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 52 min ago
- Asia seeks Obama's assurance in territorial spats
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Sub search for missing jet to be finished in week
- NC woman to climb Kilimanjaro to focus on diabetes
- Cooper asks NC court to intervene in rate increase
- Warehouse fire cause explained
- At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche