Bicyclists warned to avoid Fort Bragg areas
FORT BRAGG (WTVD) -- Authorities have a strong warning for people who enjoy bicycling on Fort Bragg.
They say if you don't follow the rules, you could face federal charges.
Mountain bikers have been using parts of the base as trails in areas that are off limits.
The southeastern part of Fort Bragg is a federally designated archeological site. Artifacts found over the past decade indicate what life was like for natives from thousands of years ago.
The historical significance is huge, but bikers coming through, digging holes and making obstacle courses are threatening the preservation of the area.
The bikers' lives are also in danger because they are riding in a dangerous military training ground.
"If you can imagine walking up or going down a trail with Concertina wire or razor wire that's been strung up across that trail as a defense position for soldiers and training and hitting that with a bike--bad day," said Bill Edwards, a Fort Bragg Installation Range officer.
Bikers caught trespassing on Fort Bragg face several fines, and destroying archeological artifacts is a federal offense.
fort bragg, local/state, nicole carr
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence 41 min ago
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Power play lifts Capitals past Carolina, 4-2Hurricanes surge... 12 min ago
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Lawmakers get legal help with NC marriage case
- Community rallies around couple after fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl holiday travel
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help