Sheriff: Woman starved dog to death
CARTHAGE, N.C. (WTVD) -- Moore County Sheriff Lane Carter says his deputies have charged a Taylortown woman with felony animal cruelty after serving a search warrant at a home.
Deputies were looking for illegal drugs. They said they also found a dead pit bull in a pen in the back yard on March 27. Animal control officers determined the animal died of starvation.
Devonna Patrice Roundtree, 32, of Taylor Avenue, Taylortown, is charged with one count of felony animal cruelty and one count of felony killing an animal by starvation.
She had previously been charged with felony maintaining a dwelling to keep controlled substances, and misdemeanor child abuse.
Bond for the cruelty charges was set at $10,000. Her next court date is set for April 15.
moore county, local/state
- Soggy, cool Saturday to start holiday weekend
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Why married women cheat
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- New bill aims to curb overzealous photoshopping 3 min ago
- Shedding light on Clinton's health overhaul flop
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 28 min ago
- Asia seeks Obama's assurance in territorial spats
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Sub search for missing jet to be finished in week
- NC woman to climb Kilimanjaro to focus on diabetes
- Cooper asks NC court to intervene in rate increase
- Warehouse fire cause explained
- At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter