Sources: Woman found in wreckage killed in crash
SMITHFIELD, N.C. (WTVD) -- There are new developments in the shocking story of a woman's body found inside a car after it was pulled out of a ditch and towed away.
Sources tell ABC11 that an autopsy shows that 62-year-old Carolyn Ann Watkins died from blunt force trauma to the head and neck from injuries sustained in the crash on Swift Creek Road near Smithfield.
The medical examiner said Watkins' death would have been immediate.
The accident happened sometime Thursday night or Friday morning.
Trisha Hall and her daughter found the car and called 911. They said an off-duty trooper pulled up and took over from there. They are horrified by what has happened.
"I walked over and looked down and was a little nervous about it," said Trisha Hall, who called 911. "I didn't see anybody in the car. I pray to God that woman died on impact because you know, if something could have been done, it just adds to a tragedy that's already horrible."
The family said Watkins - a grandmother of four - was perfectly healthy, and they don't know what could have caused her to drive off the road. They said they suspect she may have been hidden by the car's air bags - which deployed in the crash.
Trooper M.D. Williams - a 9-year State Highway Patrol veteran - filed the crash report. His report said there was no driver at the scene.
Williams has been placed on administrative duty with pay pending the outcome of the probe.
The family plans to file a lawsuit.
Watkins' funeral will be held Saturday at 1 p.m. at St. John's Missionary Baptist Church in Maple Hill.
The SBI is investigating why Watkins' body was not found earlier.
johnston county, local/state, kelli o'hara
- Police investigate shooting death as homicide 25 min ago
- FDA to regulate e-cigarettes
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Dogwood Festival ready for weather, crowds
- Mother claims daughter assaulted on field trip
- 11 kids, driver hurt in Calif. school bus crash
- I-Team: Babies not getting care due to backlog
- I-Team: Mom warns of shopping cart danger
- Public memorial service set for Danielle Locklear
- Local roofer banned from taking money up front
- New Georgia law makes it legal to carry weapons into bars,...
- Video: Historic NCSU building set for demolition
- Video: Bruce Springsteen fans gather for PNC Arena...