Fayetteville teen killed in Bladen County crash, two injured
BLADEN COUNTY, N.C. (WTVD) -- One teenager was killed and two others injured in a crash in Bladen County Friday afternoon.
It happened just before 4 p.m. in the westbound lanes of N.C. Highway 53 at Gum Springs Road.
The driver, 17-year-old William "Cole" Humphrey, of Fayetteville, and a front seat passenger, 18-year-old Spencer Faircloth, of Stedman, were ejected when a Yukon SUV hit a power pole, snapped it in half, and then flipped three times.
The State Highway Patrol said Humphrey was killed. He was a junior at Cape Fear High School and played baseball and football.
Cape Fear High's principal described Humphrey as an exemplary student and member of the community.
"Cole Humphrey was the type of student that made it easy to be a principal. He was a leader for all of the right reasons. He did what was right among his fellow classmates and his friends. It was very evident that he honored his God, his family, his school and his community with a tremendous passion," principal Lee Spruill said. "Cole was the true depiction of what being a Cape Fear Colt means and he will be greatly missed by all."
Faircloth and a backseat passenger, 17-year-old Branson Hayes, of Wade, were injured and taken to Bladen County Hospital. Neither was seriously injured.
The group was heading back to Fayetteville from Myrtle Beach at the time of the crash.
The Highway Patrol said there is no indication that speed or alcohol were factors in the crash.
accident, cumberland county, local/state
- Drug bust at home owned by UNC's Roy Williams
- Brisk sales raise Mega Millions jackpot to $425M
- Ex-racer Mayfield's home to be burned for training
- Dog helps Alaska woman survive 3 nights in cold
- Social media fuels school threat concerns
- Deputies raid Durham sweepstakes cafe 12 min ago
- Robbery suspect uses box as disguise
- Durham Freeway reopened following closure
- Thousands of Ft. Bragg soliders to deploy to Afghanistan
- One man killed, another injured in shooting 2 min ago
- Residents gather signatures to protest Publix store
- Raleigh house damaged in fire
- Two shot, wounded at NC chicken plant
- Teacher accused of feeding autistic boy hot sauce rehired
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help