Vandals strike UNC campus, some scared
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- UNC-Chapel Hill campus police are issuing a crime alert for a vandal.
One of the women who filed a complaint against UNC for under reporting sexual assaults told ABC11 that she was a target of vandalism.
A knife was found next to the graffiti in one instance. Students have said it's unnecessary, and others said they don't feel safe.
Maintenance workers have been spending the last few days cleaning up vandalism like bright pink spray paint on the side of university buildings. Landmarks and monuments have also been marred.
A person at the forefront of a fight with the university came home to graffiti as well.
Andrea Pino joined other students and filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education alleging that the university under reported cases of sexual assault. She said her dorm room door was tagged.
"I think that's really, really horrible to do to somebody," said UNC senior Margaret Kroom. "If they were doing it intentionally because of who she is, she filed the complaint against the university. I think that's ridiculous."
Aside from the graffiti found with the knife nearby, other vandalism is sexually explicit.
"It's stupid like people drawing stuff like that," said UNC grad student Chris Vorrem.
Video surveillance cameras have given officials some idea of who is drawing the images. The areas vandalized are widespread and stretch to the Chapel of the Cross on Franklin Street.
"You would think being on a college campus like this university people wouldn't do that kind of stuff," said UNC sophomore Holly Brown.
The university and Chapel Hill Police departments are teaming up to catch the people responsible for the spree.
orange county, unc, local/state
- Army helicopter crash victim from Triangle 13 min ago
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Crawleigh could affect school start times 29 min ago
- UNC guard McDonald cleared by NCAA 10 min ago
- Bipartisan budget agreement clears Congress
- Laurence Lovette denied change of venue for murder trial
- Police recover stolen storm grates
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- Ga. woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Film, TV productions spend $250 million in NC
- McCrory cites jobless rate, tax overhaul in video
- Photos: Most fascinating people of 2013
- UNC guard McDonald cleared by NCAA
1 min ago
- Local family is truly home for the holiday
4 min ago
- Consumer Alert: Online dating scams
20 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help