Dead Durham woman had restraining orders against father of child
DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- The woman whose body was found under a Durham bridge feared for her safety, according to court records.
Durham police have still not released how 38-year-old Tina Maynard died. Her body was found on Latta Road on Friday, just two miles from her home.
On Friday, her Bivins Road home was also surrounded by crime tape.
Court records show that Maynard filed at least two restraining orders against the father of one of her four children. Maynard sought a restraining order in 2009 and then again in 2011.
She asked for the 2011 order to be modified so that her child's father could see his daughter. Then Maynard asked for the 2011 order to be extended in 2012. It was set to expire this upcoming Saturday.
In her own handwriting, Maynard said the two had a violent relationship and that she feared for her safety. She detailed the man's alleged violent outbursts, that sometimes played out in front of her children.
Police have not said whether they suspect foul play or if the child's father is a person of interest in Maynard's death.
Investigators are waiting on a preliminary report from the Medical Examiner's office on the cause of death.
durham county, local/state, tamara gibbs
- Child killed in Johnston County crash 1 min ago
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- 'Burger King baby' seeks birth mom on Facebook
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- ABC11 channel changes coming to Time Warner customers
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- 2 shot in Gates Four community
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Iditarod becomes mad dash for Nome
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
56 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help