Pedestrian killed by CAT bus in Raleigh
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Authorities are investigating an accident after a man was hit by a Capital Area Transit bus in Raleigh Tuesday night.
It happened around 9:45 p.m. on Enterprise Street, just off Hillsborough Street near NC State's campus.
Police said the man, 55-year-old Jeffery Wayne Powers, was transported to WakeMed where he later died.
A passenger on the bus told ABC11 that Powers appeared to be staggering before he was hit by the bus.
According to an accident report by the Raleigh Police Department, Powers was impaired.
It stated that Powers was near the side of the road as the bus was passing, then stumbled and fell in to the side of the vehicle causing him to be run over by the back right tires of the bus.
No charges have been filed against the bus driver, and police say the bus was going about 5 mph when Powers fell. The driver and six passengers on the bus weren't hurt.
wake county, accident, local/state
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Man with Down syndrome learns he's...
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Power play lifts Capitals past Carolina, 4-2
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help