Police: Banana and lobster steal sculpture from UNC
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- Have you heard the one about the banana and lobster who walked into a building? Police at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill aren't laughing.
UNC Department of Public Safety investigators need help identifying people seen in surveillance video who they say may be involved in break-ins and thefts at the Student Union building around 3 a.m. Sunday March 31 and again at 10:30 a.m. on Monday.
The surveillance photos show four people entering the building. Two are dressed in a banana costume and a lobster costume.
About the same time, someone took a wooden sculpture by the artist Clyde Jones from the building. The art work is worth about $1,000.
"We're looking at this as a criminal incident. There's larceny that was involved as well," said Randy Young with UNC Public Safety. "We're not ruling out the possibility of criminal charges, but we'll be working with the student union to determine that."
Anyone who can help identify the people in the pictures is asked to contact UNC Police Investigator Ross Barbee at (919) 962-0564 or contact the Chapel Hill-Carrboro-UNC CrimeStoppers at (919) 942-7515. Calls are confidential and anonymous. You can also submit information to Crime Stoppers online at www.crimestoppers-chcunc.org.
orange county, unc, local/state
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help