Jury controversy in Shaniya Davis murder trial
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WTVD) -- At the end of day three, seven jurors have been seated in the Shaniya Davis murder trial, but there is some controversy among those chosen.
A dismissed juror said that she and other jurors saw McNeill's plea rejection through various media outlets and discussed it among themselves.
Now, the seven seated jurors will be called back in for questioning sometime this week.
Jury selection got underway Monday morning, but no jurors were seated until Wednesday.
Mario McNeill faces first-degree murder, first-degree rape of a child, first-degree kidnapping, human trafficking with a child victim, sexual servitude with a child victim, sexual offense of a child and indecent liberties with a child charges related to Shaniya Davis' death. He could face the death penalty if convicted.
Shaniya was given up by her mother, Antoinette Davis, to allegedly settle a drug debt. Authorities said the girl was raped and murdered and then dumped just off Highway 87 near the Lee-Harnett county line.
Jury selection is expected to last two to three weeks. About 15 or 16 jurors are slated to be selected, with three alternates.
The trial is expected to last six to eight weeks.
cumberland county, shaniya davis, local/state
- Bicycle Man's legacy lives on
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Obama skips out of Washington for Hawaii vacation
- Target offers apology discount this weekend 37 min ago
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AAA Carolinas expects record travel by Tar Heels 32 min ago
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Wild video: Duke Energy implodes smokestacks
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 59 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help