Shootout at Durham park sends people running for cover
DURHAM (WTVD) -- People at a Durham park were forced to duck for cover after a shootout erupted Wednesday evening.
It happened around 7:30 p.m. at Forest Hills Park, which is located 1600 block of University Drive.
Witnesses said some kids got in a fight and a shootout followed.
"We came out here to let the kids play in the park," said Beverly Mewborn. "There were some kids from Southern and Jordan high. They were having a cookout, and then all of a sudden a fight broke out and the guys just busted out with guns and started shooting everybody. There were kids everywhere."
Luckily, no one was hit by the gunfire. It is still unclear exactly how many shots were fired.
However, several cars parked in the area were damaged.
durham county, shooting, local/state, angelica alvarez
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide