Organs of boy, 6, shot in Toms River donated
TOMS RIVER, N.J. - April 11, 2013 -- The parents of a 6-year-old boy who was shot and killed by a 4-year-old in Toms River, New Jersey have decided to donate their son's organs.
The parents said they made the decision because it could "do some good."
The Atlantic County Prosecutor's Office took over the case of Brandon Holt's death because the parents of the 4-year-old have relatives who worked in law enforcement in Ocean County.
Police said the boys were playing Monday when the 4-year-old got a loaded .22-caliber rifle from his family's Toms River home and accidentally shot Holt in the head.
Investigators want to know how the younger boy got the gun.
Meanwhile, Holt's funeral will take place Saturday.
children, shooting, new jersey, local/state
- Skiba's mom says Richardson murdered daughter
- ABC11 channel changes
- Reports of rashes spur Fitbit recall
- Wrestler loses championship, wins crowd over
- Plane emergency reported at Philly airport
- Durham school bus involved in accident
- Official: Airliner communications shut down separately
- NC State tops Miami 67-58 in ACC tourney 56 min ago
- Emails show close ties between Duke, NC regulators
- Teen faces sexting charges following social media mistake
- Couple, suspect, officer killed in Burke County
- Graco adds more than 403,000 child seats to recall
- Suspect in Sanford shooting death arrested
- Parents hope bone marrow drive can save son