Missing College of NJ student's purse found at George Washington Bridge
HILLSBOROUGH, N.J. - April 11, 2013 -- Authorities are searching for a missing College of New Jersey student days after her purse was found on the south walkway of the George Washington Bridge.
The Somerset County Prosecutor's Office says Paige Aiello's parents called police after a passerby called them to say she found the woman's purse, cell phone and car keys on Tuesday evening.
Authorities searched the Hudson River and did not find anything.
"As soon as I heard that, I just heard it in dance class, my stomach dropped. You know, there's always hope, though. I hope somehow she is still out there," said student Natalie Steele.
The captain of the women's tennis team was last seen at her family's Hillsborough home on Tuesday afternoon.
The prosecutor's office says Aiello apparently took her mother's car without permission. The vehicle was found Tuesday evening in a New Brunswick parking garage, which is near a train station.
Aiello is a senior at TCNJ, which is located in Ewing.
Her father said Paige has a 3.8 grade point average and she's been accepted into nine law schools for the fall. But, despite her accomplishments, Chris Aiello says his high-achieving daughter has been terribly stressed lately, feeling that - somehow - she hasn't been measuring up.
"Parents have to be aware, even when they have children that excel in sports and school and so forth, that these kids have to be watched even more," Chris Aiello said.
When asked if he had a message for his daughter, he said "If she does hear this, that we love her and we want her to come home. That's it."
Thursday is her 22nd birthday.
new jersey, students, missing person, local/state
- Man shot outside Fayetteville grocery store
- Car accident killed girls missing since 1971
- Dress codes: Where should schools set limits?
- Gas prices on the rise; still lower than last Easter
- Nurseries, homeowners take steps to protect plants 1 min ago
- Putin urges end to blockade of Trans-Dniester
- Fire truck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- Family of Fayetteville Navy Yard shooting victim files suit
- 2 more charged in Wake Forest kidnapping
- Sketch of Cary rape suspect released
- McCrory proposes new coal ash regulation
- Wake sounds alarm on teacher shortage