Jury seated in Mario McNeill trial
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- A fourth and final alternate juror has been seated in the Mario McNeill murder trial in Fayetteville.
McNeill is the man accused of killing five-year-old Shaniya Davis in 2009.
Thursday morning, two additional alternates were chosen -- a man and a woman. They added to the alternate juror chosen Wednesday.
The state had requested a fourth alternate to be safe.
Until Thursday, it was unclear if the judge was going to take it that far, but he agreed to a fourth alternate.
Thursday afternoon, that fourth alternate juror was selected.
The jury breakdown is eight women and four men. The alternates are three women and one man.
Opening statements will begin Monday at 9:30 a.m.
McNeill faces first-degree murder, first-degree rape of a child, first-degree kidnapping, human trafficking with a child victim, sexual servitude with a child victim, sexual offense of a child and indecent liberties with a child charges related to Davis' death.
He could face the death penalty if convicted.
Authorities said the girl's body was dumped just off N.C. Highway 87 near the Lee-Harnett County line.
The trial is expected to be lengthy, with the state alone expected to argue two to three weeks. The state has 357 tagged exhibits.
cumberland county, shaniya davis, local/state, nicole carr
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man charged with stealing names, SS numbers from soldiers
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma
- Shearon Harris back in operation
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Appeal to be heard in Jason Young case
- Police: Teen in custody shot himself
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help