Police: Professor caught with child pornography
CARY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Cary police said an English professor at Wake Tech Community College was arrested after being found on a website known for underage pornography.
ABC11 has learned that 35-year-old Andrew Campbell not only taught college students but also worked with children as young as fourth graders at Duke's Talent Identification Program, which mentors gifted children.
An undercover operation led Cary police to Campbell's Cary apartment where he is listed as living with his girlfriend.
In a search warrant, Cary police detailed how they found user "Mr. Silk 77" on a site with chat rooms titled jailbait, and incest.
For more than a month, police tracked pornographic photos of children in sexual and disturbing images to the IP address of "Mr. Silk 77." That led them to arrest Campbell.
No one from Duke's Talent Identification Program would comment on camera. However, an official did tell ABC11 that Campbell resigned this week and that, "Duke conducts thorough screenings on all potential hires. There were no concerns that surfaced during the screening process or during his part-time seasonal employment at Duke."
Campbell is currently being held at the Wake County Detention Center on several charges of sexual exploitation of minor. He's being held on a $900,000 bond.
wake county, sex offense, local/state, angelica alvarez
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide