Police: Professor caught with child pornography
CARY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Cary police said an English professor at Wake Tech Community College was arrested after being found on a website known for underage pornography.
ABC11 has learned that 35-year-old Andrew Campbell not only taught college students but also worked with children as young as fourth graders at Duke's Talent Identification Program, which mentors gifted children.
An undercover operation led Cary police to Campbell's Cary apartment where he is listed as living with his girlfriend.
In a search warrant, Cary police detailed how they found user "Mr. Silk 77" on a site with chat rooms titled jailbait, and incest.
For more than a month, police tracked pornographic photos of children in sexual and disturbing images to the IP address of "Mr. Silk 77." That led them to arrest Campbell.
No one from Duke's Talent Identification Program would comment on camera. However, an official did tell ABC11 that Campbell resigned this week and that, "Duke conducts thorough screenings on all potential hires. There were no concerns that surfaced during the screening process or during his part-time seasonal employment at Duke."
Campbell is currently being held at the Wake County Detention Center on several charges of sexual exploitation of minor. He's being held on a $900,000 bond.
wake county, sex offense, local/state, angelica alvarez
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help