Trooper who overlooked dead woman suspended
CLAYTON, N.C. (WTVD) -- The trooper accused of overlooking a deceased woman in her wrecked car has been suspended.
The North Carolina Deptartment of Public Safety told ABC11 that Trooper Marlon D. Williams was suspended without pay, but could not confirm how long the suspension will last.
This comes after Williams, a 9-year Highway Patrol veteran, failed to see the body of 63-year-old Carolyn Ann Watkins in the front seat of her car that crashed in a ditch.
The crashed on Swift Creek Road, about five miles outside Smithfield and two miles from Watkins' home.
Watkins' family reported her missing three days later when she did not show up for work.
When Smithfield police detectives went to a towing recovery lot to look for clues in her car, they found Watkins' body lying across the front seat.
The State Bureau of Investigation conducted an investigation and determined Williams was negligent in handling the car crash scene. No criminal charges will be filed.
johnston county, local/state
- Winter weather advisory for northern counties 15 min ago
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a life!
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Cavs join Gators, 'Cats, Shockers as No. 1 seeds
- NCCU will be part of March Madness 41 min ago
- Video: NC State headed to NCAA tournament
- Russia calls on Ukraine to be a federal state 48 min ago
- Plane search expands from Australia to Kazakhstan 51 min ago
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
- Former student fires BB gun inside high school
- Man shot, killed at Willow Spring bar
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Duke University senior killed in Florida crash