Trooper who overlooked dead woman suspended
CLAYTON, N.C. (WTVD) -- The trooper accused of overlooking a deceased woman in her wrecked car has been suspended.
The North Carolina Deptartment of Public Safety told ABC11 that Trooper Marlon D. Williams was suspended without pay, but could not confirm how long the suspension will last.
This comes after Williams, a 9-year Highway Patrol veteran, failed to see the body of 63-year-old Carolyn Ann Watkins in the front seat of her car that crashed in a ditch.
The crashed on Swift Creek Road, about five miles outside Smithfield and two miles from Watkins' home.
Watkins' family reported her missing three days later when she did not show up for work.
When Smithfield police detectives went to a towing recovery lot to look for clues in her car, they found Watkins' body lying across the front seat.
The State Bureau of Investigation conducted an investigation and determined Williams was negligent in handling the car crash scene. No criminal charges will be filed.
johnston county, local/state
- Target investigating credit card breach
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Man shot, collapses at gas station
- Police issue warning on eve of Huerta vigil
- Dog helps doctors monitor child during operation
- Army helicopter crash victim from Triangle
- Ex-boyfriend charged in Durham double murder
- Texas upends No. 14 North Carolina 86-83
- NC State beats Vols 65-58 for sixth straight win
- White House task force urges limit on NSA snooping
- Ferry that ran aground on NC coast still stuck
- Crawleigh could affect school start times
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help