Broyhill charged with murder in Hahn stabbing
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The man accused of killing Democrat fundraiser Jamie Hahn was released from the hospital and had the charges against him upgraded to murder Tuesday.
Jon Broyhill, 31, had previously been charged with attempted murder before Hahn died of stab wounds at WakeMed last Wednesday.
Police allege Broyhill attacked Hahn, 29, and her husband Nation Hahn in their Raleigh home the previous Monday night. Investigators said Broyhill also injured himself in the incident, and he has been recovering at WakeMed.
Broyhill's wrists appeared to be bandaged as he was brought in a wheelchair into the Wake County Detention Center for a hearing. He was ordered held without bond on the murder charge. Bond was set at $1 million on charges of assault with a deadly weapon and attempted murder.
Police have not given a possible motive for the alleged attack, but sources have said they believe Jamie Hahn had asked Broyhill to explain why money was missing from the campaign of former Congressman Brad Miller.
Broyhill worked as an accountant for Jamie's political consulting firm, Sky Blue Strategies, where Miller was a client.
Members of the church the Hahns and Broyhill attended - Pullen Memorial Baptist Church - told ABC11 that Broyhill also told fellow church members he was suffering from pancreatic cancer - a claim that is apparently false.
The Hahns were longtime friends of Broyhill's - who was best man at their wedding and regularly had dinner with the couple on Monday evenings.
Broyhill's mother, Kay, released a statement Monday from her home in Hickory:
"Our family is still reeling from the shock of what happened last Monday. Our hearts are broken for the Kirk/Hahn families, and we pray God will bring His peace and comfort to them in their grieving. Jon has always had a sweet, gentle nature and been loved by all who know him. We will continue to love and support him in any way we can."
Jamie Hahn was laid to rest Saturday in her hometown of Orangeburg, S.C.
wake county, homicide, local/state
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh 41 min ago
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River