Jurors deliberate in fatal Durham teen shooting
DURHAM -- Jurors are deliberating in the trial of a man charged in the shooting death of a Pennsylvania football player in a Durham parking lot.
Gabriel James Gamez, 24, is accused in the death of 18-year-old Darrell Turner.
Prosecutors say Gamez opened fire on teammates from Gateway High School in Monroeville, Pa. The players and their team had stopped in Durham en route to a Florida football camp in June 2011.
Gamez also faces an assault charge after another player was shot in the leg.
The attorney for Gamez said in closing arguments that her client felt threatened by the players and was scared for his life. A prosecutor said Gamez was the aggressor and that the football players did nothing wrong.
Jurors failed to reach a verdict Wednesday. They will return to deliberate at 9:30 a.m. Thursday.
durham county, shooting, local/state
- Target investigating credit card breach 39 min ago
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Man shot, collapses at gas station
- Police issue warning on eve of Huerta vigil
- Dog helps doctors monitor child during operation
- Army helicopter crash victim from Triangle
- Ex-boyfriend charged in Durham double murder
- Texas upends No. 14 North Carolina 86-83 6 min ago
- NC State beats Vols 65-58 for sixth straight win
- White House task force urges limit on NSA snooping
- Ferry that ran aground on NC coast still stuck
- Crawleigh could affect school start times
- Local woman helps Obamacare efforts
33 min ago
- Raleigh family gets new home for holidays
23 min ago
- Target investigating credit card breach
34 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help