Judge lowers bond for pregnant girlfriend in trooper shooting
DURHAM (WTVD) -- A judge Monday agreed to reduce the bond for a pregnant woman accused of being an accessory in the February shooting of North Carolina Highway Patrol Trooper Michael Potts.
Lyndsey Smith will be allowed to return to Vermont under GPS monitoring and house arrest until she gives birth. She can leave her house for medical appointments only.
Smith's family will come to get her Tuesday. The judge said he will review Smith's pretrial release after she gives birth.
Smith's bond had been set at $1.5 million. She is charged with accessory after the fact and harboring a fugitive in the February 19 shooting of Potts.
Prosecutors say Smith's reported boyfriend and father of her unborn baby, Mikel Edward Brady II, shot Potts after he was pulled over on U.S. Highway 70 at Cheek Road near Interstate 85. The officer was shot four times and suffered wounds to each hand, his right shoulder, and the right side of his face.
Potts was in the courtroom Monday for Smith's bond hearing. He declined comment on her release.
Brady, of White Pines Drive in Durham, is charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill. He was also wanted on an absconder warrant from Vermont at the time of the shooting.
durham county, shooting, local/state
- Temps to plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Durham girl's wish comes true
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Paul Walker crash
- Woman unknowingly tweets husband's fatal car crash
- No. 20 Duke relishes worst-to-first ride
- Xerox calls police before layoffs
- Icy storm slams Southwest, shuts down North Texas
- Son: Graham's health declining
- CDC: Water at Marine base linked to birth defects
- Hurricanes surge past Sharks 34 min ago
- Raleigh Winterfest 2013-2014
- Mandela's humility and charm shined through life 15 min ago
- Fayetteville man charged with woman's murder
- Fort Bragg soldiers say goodbye, head to Afghanistan
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help