Prosecutor: Sexual assault suspect confessed to friends
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A man charged with a violent sexual assault on the N.C. State campus apparently confessed to his friends and almost to police.
Marlon Miller, 21, has apparently never been in serious trouble until now.
He's charged with sexually assaulting an N.C. state coed last month near the Free Expression Tunnel on campus.
Miller appeared in court Monday.
"When the sexual assault took place, he put his hands over her mouth and told her that if she screamed he would kill her," said prosecutor Jeff Cruden.
The prosecutor also revealed other new details about the crime when Miller's attorney argued that his bond should be lowered. He told the judge that Miller admitted to police he was on campus at the time of the crime and in the area where it happened. He said Miller then ended the interview.
However, police have other witnesses.
"He admitted to other people that he was there and had committed this assault on the victim," said Cruden.
Surveillance video captured the suspect on camera before and after the assault. Police said those pictures helped them identify Miller as a suspect. Miller turned himself in Sunday.
Early Sunday, an N.C. State student reported being punched and robbed by two men on campus. The weekend before, another student reported being robbed at knifepoint. Last week, a female student said she was approached by a suspicious man.
"In light of the recent events that occurred on campus, we have certainly increased our patrol," said N.C. State Public Safety Lt. David Kelly. "We have brought in extra officers and security officers in order to assist in patrolling of the campus."
Campus police say there is no need for anyone to walk alone on campus at night. They say students should take advantage of the free escort service provided by the university.
wake county, robbery, nc state, local/state, ed crump
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds 42 min ago
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Parade & Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her