Article calls out local colleges as not worth the money
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Three local colleges have found themselves on a list no school wants any part of. A study that says Fayetteville State University, Meredith College, and Shaw University aren't worth the money.
"I pretty much try to get in as many hours and I can," said Shaw University freshman Jewel Carrington.
Carrington is putting herself through school, but according to a new list, the place she picked is not a smart investment.
The study by salary data provider "Payscale" was published in "Business Insider."
"It's definitely scary thinking about after college, paying back thousands and thousands of dollars," said Carrington.
The list compares the average cost of education to predicted income after graduation over 30 years.
"I think they're completely off," said Meredith senior Mary Royal.
The President of Meredith College, Jo Allen, called the findings suspect and sketchy, saying the school has more than made the grade on other lists and contradicts these findings.
"We actually laugh and say we'd like to do a ranking of the rankings," said Allen.
Meredith, for example, was named a "Best Value" in the South by U.S. News and World Report. The Princeton Review chose the school as one of best colleges in the southeast as well.
"We've got some of the highest alumni satisfaction rankings I've ever heard of," said Allen. "Ninety-eight percent of Meredith's alumni report that they would recommend Meredith to somebody else. Ninety-six percent say they would enroll here again."
Shaw says its school has one of the lowest tuition rates of any private university in North Carolina.
A spokesperson for Fayetteville State says they're in the process of conducting research into the findings.
wake county, cumberland county, local/state, elaina athans
- Barber, 11 others guilty in Moral Monday protests
- 'Tipsforjesus' leaving thousands in tips
- Does bathing in vitamin C water improve health?
- Family says Nelson Mandela on 'deathbed'
- Lockdown lifted at Wingate University 15 min ago
- Tata blames environmentalists for bridge woes
- NC has fewer teachers and more students
- Autopsy: Actor died from impact, fire in crash 32 min ago
- Student arrested with loaded gun at Durham high school
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Group tasked with keeping kids safe at school
- State prison guard attacked by inmate
- Johnston County teen faces 'sexting' charges
- Ground broken on Raleigh high-rise apartments
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help