Amendment One opponents rally at Legislature
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- North Carolina's historic Amendment One is back in the spotlight. One year ago, voters approved the amendment which defined marriage as solely between a man and a woman.
Opponents of the measure say they are not giving up. Equality NC organized a Wednesday night rally where hundreds gathered at the Legislature to call attention to their cause. They are making it their mission to get that amendment repealed.
"Things are changing really quickly," said Equality NC's Jen Jones.
With 11 states now allowing same-sex marriage, the group hopes North Carolina voters will take notice and repeal Amendment One, which bans same-sex marriage.
Jones helped organize a rally Wednesday evening in front of the General Assembly to mark the one year anniversary of Amendment One.
For her, the timing was bittersweet. She met her partner on the campaign trail fighting against the amendment only to see it passed.
"We can get married in almost a dozen states," said Jones.
However, she cannot marry in her own state. So she stood with a group holding signs to show lawmakers and the public that the fight is not over.
Republican Sen. Mike Woodard is one of those lawmakers standing with her.
"I think all our legislators, both parties, Democrats and Republicans need to hear from people how strongly they feel about this," said Woodard.
He says they're making strides. There is legislation in the works to prevent discrimination against gays and lesbians in the workplace.
It shows change is happening.
"There was a poll in North Carolina that showed in February 63 percent of North Carolinians support some sort of recognition for same sex couples," said Equality NC's Stewart Campbell.
Sixty percent was close to the same percentage of voters who supported Amendment One a year ago, which gave everyone at Wednesday's rally hope that the change they see happening across the nation will happen in here.
general assembly, wake county, local/state, angelica alvarez
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina 36 min ago
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home 29 min ago
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- Orange County among hardest hit by ice storm
33 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
37 min ago
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in Fayetteville...
30 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help