Sources: Wife killed husband over cable TV
CARY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Prosecutors say woman charged with murder for allegedly strangling her 77-year-old husband Wednesday may have snapped.
Dottie Delaney Amtey, 61, was in the Wake County Detention Center in Raleigh Thursday morning.
Detectives said she killed her husband, 77-year-old Sharad Amtey, at their home on Carbon Hill Court.
Sources said investigators believe an argument over their cable television immediately preceeded the man's death. Sources told ABC11 that when the husband pulled the cable plug on his wife's TV, it was the final straw.
Apparently, prosecutors believe Amtey snapped. ABC11 was told that Sharad was not only elderly, but sick as well.
A call from the home just after 11 p.m. Wednesday night reported the man was not responsive.
"I need police to this house immediately. There's been a murder," said the female caller.
The person then reported: "She said she just choked her husband to death."
And, "He was very sick and old and she said she just killed him."
Sharad Amtey was taken to Rex Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Court records show the couple might have been in financial trouble. The IRS has a tax lien of more than $80,000 on the couple. They had already paid back more than $20,000 in state taxes.
There were as many as six people living in the 1,900 sq. ft. rental house, including at least one grown child and a grandchild.
Neighbors of the Amtey's in their Cary neighborhood said they didn't know much about the couple, but said they often saw Dottie Amtey out exercising.
A website for the Raleigh Galloway Marathon Training Program lists her as a team leader for a group that averages 11-minute miles in marathons.
In her bio, she says she's run 10 marathons and "countless half-marathons."
A judge set Amtey's bond at $1 million.
wake county, local/state
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help