Kayakers rescued from Cape Fear River
ERWIN, N.C. (WTVD) -- The fast-moving currents on the Cape Fear River were just too much for two kayakers to handle Friday evening.
Chopper 11 HD was over the river as rescuers found the man and woman stranded on an island in the middle of the river.
Neither was injured. Their names were not released.
Fire officials say they get three to four water rescue calls each year when the water is high because it can cover up rocks and other hazards.
They urge everyone to stay off the river during high water conditions unless you are an experienced kayaker.
harnett county, local/state, greg barnes
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man charged with stealing names, SS numbers from soldiers
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma
- Shearon Harris back in operation
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Appeal to be heard in Jason Young case
- Police: Teen in custody shot himself
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help