5K held for Oakwood home invasion victims
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- People gathered from all across the state, even parts of the country, to raise money for a couple that were victims of a home invasion.
The Y Guides Tribe organized a 5K run to raise money for mounting medical bills for the man injured in the January attack.
Jason Beyer is now in a wheelchair after trying to protect his wife, Jessica.
Police said two brothers broke into couple's home in Raleigh's Oakwood neighborhood while they were sleeping. When Jason confronted the intruders, he was shot in the back.
Still, he mains relentlessly upbeat.
"We're just overwhelmed and amazed, at everyone coming out to support us!" Jason said.
And it is support that the couple says they have felt since that January night.
"It was immediate. I still have casseroles in my fridge! People were just showing up, people I never knew before came in and cleaned my house for me," Jessica said. "I just can't express it! It just means so much for people to come up and help us."
Because of the community's support, the 5K was a success and exceeded the goal they set for the fundraiser. The money raised will help with medical bills and retrofitting the home for wheelchair access.
wake county, local/state, anthony wilson
- Dozens attend vigil for Jesus Huerta 1 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse 25 min ago
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards 18 min ago
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway 18 min ago
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground 58 min ago
- NCCU new head football coach named
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Could Becoats' future be in jeopardy?
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- Panthers 1 win from ending playoff drought
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help