Turning tassels helps turn profits in the Triangle
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- What happens when you combine college graduations, Mother's Day, and beautiful weather?
It equals big money for local businesses.
Sean Gartland is just one of thousands turning his tassel this weekend. The UNC grad has gathered family from near and far to Chapel Hill.
"My mom, my dad, my grandparents from my mom's side from Germany, and my uncle from Germany, and my sister," Gartland said.
The family from all across the world is here to celebrate.
"Definitely you notice everywhere you go in Chapel Hill, even the grocery store, it's way, way crowded compared to normal," Gartland said.
The large numbers can mean large profits for local shops and restaurants.
Tom Scheilder manages Top This along Chapel Hill's busy Franklin Street. He said graduation weekend already triples his business at the restaurant, but his haul will be even bigger this time around.
"The streets have been crazy," Scheilder said. "You've got Mother's Day as well as lacrosse played Saturday and Sunday, women's and men. It's been really busy in the area."
But even though these graduates may be leaving with their families come Monday, business owners are already looking ahead.
"I'm looking forward to the freshmen coming with their parents coming into town," Scheilder said.
unc, orange county, local/state, angelica alvarez
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry 38 min ago
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma 21 min ago
- American Univ: campus on lockdown, gunman reported 16 min ago
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing 6 min ago
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- NC lawmaker charged in state tax case resigns
- Ex-NC State coach pleads guilty to tax charges
- Victim in Durham apartment shooting dies
- Car hits CAT bus, injuries reported
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Teachers union files suit challenging school voucher law
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help