Raven Abaroa murder trial on hold
DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- Raven Abaroa's murder trial is on hold after prosecutors announced Thursday they have found potential new evidence in the case.
Abaroa, 33, is accused of stabbing his pregnant wife Janet to death in their home on Ferrand Drive back in 2005. The couple's 6-month-old son was in the house at the time, but was not harmed.
Thursday morning, prosecutors made the surprise announcement that Janet Abaroa's work computer hard drive and a phone described as a Palm Pilot belonging to her husband had been located in a locked cabinet with other sealed items at the Durham Police Department.
They said they would have to examine the items first and the defense would need a chance to do the same, meaning jurors would not return to the courtroom until Monday.
Before the trial was put on hold, the state called two witnesses to the stand to discuss the exhumation of Janet Abaroa's body.
The defense objected to some of the photos, but the jury was eventually allowed to see the victim's eyes, face, and chest and collar bone.
Her eyes, specifically contact lenses left on her eyes, were the focus.
The state is trying to dispel Raven Abaroa's claims that his wife was either asleep or headed to bed when he left for his soccer game the night of the murder.
Family members have testified Janet always took out her contact lenses before heading to bed.
The state could wrap up its case on Monday.
Abaroa's defense has maintained detectives focused on him from the beginning and ignored important evidence in the case.
durham county, homicide, janet abaroa, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds 10 min ago
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67 55 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a...
6 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
16 min ago