Tanker truck collides with SUV in Johnston County
NEWTON GROVE, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Johnston County road was shut down for nearly two hours after a tanker truck collided with an SUV Saturday morning.
The accident happened at 8:05 a.m. along the 8100 block of US-701 South in Newton Grove. It is in the southernmost part of Johnston County, near the Sampson County border.
The SUV was traveling south on US-701 and the tanker truck was behind it. The tanker truck tried to pass the SUV when it came upon a dotted line on the two-lane road. At the same time, the SUV tried to make a left turn into a private drive, causing it to be directly in path of tanker.
The driver of the SUV, 65-year-old James Newkirk, of Smithfield was pinned and airlifted to WakeMed with head and chest trauma, troopers said. He is listed in serious condition.
Two females were ejected and taken by ambulance to WakeMed.They have been identified as 23-year-old Latrice Johnson, of Smithfield and 18-year-old Tahirra Hargrove, of Newton Grove. Hargrove is currently listed in fair condition, while Johnson was treated and released.
The tanker truck was driven by 49-year-old Alvin Singletary, of Bladenboro. He was not injured. The trucked was owned by STG Transport, of Wilmington and was loaded with gasoline.
Charges have not been filed. Troopers do not believe alcohol or speed were factors.
johnston county, accident, local/state
- North Carolina ties to Craigslist murder 52 min ago
- Heart of Carolina Food Drive wrapping up soon
- South African police prepare for Mandela ceremony
- Man must pay $50K after breaking up with fiancee
- Audit shows problems with NC Tracks 25 min ago
- Car drives off bridge, into Harnett County creek 3 min ago
- Bicyclist charged with DWI
- Online promotion idea turns sour for cupcake shop owner 41 min ago
- Sonic apologizes for racist sign 29 min ago
- Gas leak prompts evacuations, closes highway
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- Cumberland County deputy involved in crash
- Jury selection begins in newlywed killing case
- Newtown asks for privacy, kindness on 1-year mark
- Audit shows problems with NC Tracks
31 min ago
- Online promotion idea turns sour for...
40 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help