ABC 11 Match Madness to help cancer patients
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- ABC11 is proud to announce we're continuing our teamwork with the Be The Match national bone marrow donor program for a ABC11 Match Madness event coming in March 2014.
This past March, ABC11 morning meteorologist Don "Big Weather" Schwenneker said he'd shave his head if more than 250 people registered to be bone marrow donors. The bone marrow drive at Streets of Southpoint Mall was the most successful local bone marrow drive ever! We registered more than 275 of our ABC 11 viewers to Be The Match.
We dedicated the ABC 11 Be The Match Bone Marrow Drive to ABC's Robin Roberts and Joshua Chavis, the son of ABC 11 Photographer Larry Chavis who passed away after a battle with cancer.
Don's decision to sacrifice his hair for such a great cause even got him the attention of Morehead City Mayor Jerry Jones.
"More-head" City is home to the annual Bald is Beautiful convention. In a proclamation, Mayor Jones named Schwenneker an honorary citizen for his support of the battle against cancer and commended him for his "action of bravery."
We'll have more information about the ABC 11 Match Madness Bone Marrow Drive in the months ahead. We hope to make this an annual event.
In the meantime, you can register anytime to be a bone marrow donor.
- Winter weather advisory for northern counties
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a life!
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Cavs join Gators, 'Cats, Shockers as No. 1 seeds
- NCCU will be part of March Madness
- Video: NC State headed to NCAA tournament
- Russia calls on Ukraine to be a federal state
- Plane search expands from Australia to Kazakhstan
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
- Former student fires BB gun inside high school
- Man shot, killed at Willow Spring bar
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Duke University senior killed in Florida crash