Driver killed after car collides with Wake County school bus
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A driver died early Wednesday morning when a car collided with a Wake County school bus.
It happened around 6:17 a.m. on Atlantic Avenue and Forest Oaks Drive in Raleigh.
Police said 25-year-old Lana Awni Almashini was making a left turn when her car was hit broadside by the bus - killing her.
No students were on board bus #1201, which was assigned to take students to West Millbrook Middle School, at the time of the accident. The school bus suffered severe front end damage, but the driver, Octavius Smith, was not injured.
A Wake County Schools spokesperson told ABC11 that Smith started driving for the school system in October.
The spokesperson also said police have not notified the central office of any charges.
Authorities have not said who was at fault in the crash.
Atlantic Avenue between Spring Forest and Millbrook roads was closed for several hours as authorities worked to clear the scene.
wake county, wake county schools, school bus accident, local/state
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- No. 7 Duke escapes against Clemson, 63-62
- NC State upsets Syracuse 66-63
- Pittsburgh beats No. 15 UNC 80-75