Authorities investigating double fatal crash
KNIGHTDALE, N.C. (WTVD) -- Two people were killed in an accident along eastbound Highway 64 near Knightdale Sunday evening.
It happened just after 10 p.m. near Hodge Road.
The North Carolina Highway Patrol said a Mazda was headed west on U.S. 64 when it went off the road, across the median, and into oncoming traffic - hitting a pick-up truck head-on. A third vehicle sideswiped the pick-up.
Both the driver of the Mazda, 22-year-old Megan Williams, of Raleigh, and a passenger, 25-year-old Brooke Byrnes, of Norristown, Pa., were killed.
Three people inside the truck were taken to the hospital with minor injuries. Two people in the other car were not injured.
Troopers said Williams' car crossed the median where there was a gap between where guard rail ended and the guard wire started.
Authorities said it was unclear why Williams lost control. However, they said they believed she was going close to 80 mile per hour at the time of the crash.
No charges will be filed at this time.
Troopers said Williams was arrested earlier this month on drug and prostitution charges. They also said she leaves behind two young children.
wake county, local/state
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence 14 min ago
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Lawmakers get legal help with NC marriage case
- Community rallies around couple after fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl holiday travel
- Newlyweds ordered to trial in Craigslist slaying
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help