More guns being found at airports nationwide
RALEIGH-DURHAM INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (WTVD) -- For the third time in the past several days, a gun was found at a North Carolina airport.
The latest incident happened Tuesday at RDU when a TSA agent spotted a loaded gun in one passenger's carry-on luggage. Officials said the gun was loaded and in a passenger's carry-on bag.
It capped a record week for the TSA. Sixty-five guns were found by the TSA at airports across America in the past week. Three of the incidents happened in North Carolina.
Tuesday's gun at RDU was in Collin Byrd's carry-on bag. Byrd was flying back to Tennessee with his family when he says he accidentally left his loaded handgun in his carry-on bag.
Byrd has a conceal-carry permit but that doesn't matter. He was charged with a misdemeanor and could face fines from the TSA.
TSA officials say many of those caught with guns at airport security say they simply forgot about the guns. They hope that stiff fines and sometimes criminal charges will ensure those passengers never forget again.
raleigh durham airport, local/state, ed crump
- Soggy, cool Saturday to start holiday weekend
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Why married women cheat
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- New bill aims to curb overzealous photoshopping
- Shedding light on Clinton's health overhaul flop
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Asia seeks Obama's assurance in territorial spats
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Sub search for missing jet to be finished in week
- NC woman to climb Kilimanjaro to focus on diabetes
- Cooper asks NC court to intervene in rate increase
- Warehouse fire cause explained
- At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter