Train collides with truck in Dunn, 1 killed
DUNN, N.C. (WTVD) -- One person was killed after a train collided with a truck in Dunn, according to Highway Patrol.
Troopers said the train hit a truck crossing near the stop gates at the rail road crossing on Arrowhead Road, near the Food Lion distribution center. The crash happened Saturday just before 9 p.m.
The road was closed at the railroad tracks because of road repairs and a barricade had been set up, according to Highway Patrol. The truck driver, 59-year-old Andrew Williams, of Dunn, tried to cross the tracks and got stuck in a rut of asphalt.
Troopers said Williams and a passenger tried to maneuver the truck off the train tracks when the passenger saw the train. Williams tried to run, but was struck before he could get out of the way.
The road remains closed due to road repairs. There was no damage to the train or the tracks.
The CSX train was traveling to Jacksonville, Florida from North Bergen, New Jersey and had three locomotices and 52 rail cars.
harnett county, accident, local/state
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh 17 min ago
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash 24 min ago
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- Residents told of arsenic in water
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
- NC State upsets Syracuse 66-63
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
16 min ago
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in...
15 min ago
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
10 min ago